Standing up for others – responding to real life situations.
There are many different situations that you will face or injustices that you will experience. We must think about how we would respond in such unfair or unjust situations so that when the situations arise, we are well prepared to respond effectively and do what we can to help others feel safe, respected, and hopefully, empowered. Some situations are not safe or appropriate for us to intervene in, so we should think about why the situation is occurring, why is is unfair or unjust, and what we can do to make a change to stop such instances from occurring.
You will respond to the following situations. Think about how to always be respectful and responsible when responding to unfair or unjust situations. Respond with as much detail as possible, answering the following:
- Why is it an unfair or unjust situation?
- Would you personally become involved upon witnessing/hearing about this situation? Why/why not?
- What would you do/say in the situation if you were to intervene?
- What could you do to reduce such situations from occurring or to help the person affected feel more accepted in the future?
Explain in detail how you would respond to the following situations:
- A boy at school does not let a girl play soccer with him and his friends because she is a girl and “girls do not play sports”.
- A classmate of yours tells an international student that their food smells/looks weird at lunch time.
- An old lady loses her job because she is “too old” to be working even though she is entirely able to do the job just as well as a younger person.
- A police man arrests a black man because he looked suspicious when he did not commit any crime.
- People in some countries work all day and are not paid enough to afford to feed their families.
- A storeowner does not let certain people into his store based on how they look (dressed nicely, skin colour, demeanour, etc.).
- Some people do not receive the healthcare that they need because they cannot afford it.
- In some jobs women are not paid as much as men for the exact same work.
- In some areas of the world girls are not allowed to go to school and only the boys go to school.
- Some people live in poverty and do not have access to food, clean drinking water, shelter, or safety.