Self Reflection – Look at what makes you uniquely you and how this impacts your place in society.
In learning about social justice and anti-bias education regarding our own awareness, it is important that we look inside, within ourselves to understand our own place in the world. Before we can examine and begin to understand issues within our community or society as a whole, we need to be aware of our own position within society and the advantages and/or disadvantages that exist within our lives and why they exist.
You are going to examine your own identity, (what makes you who you are) and think about how this influences you position within society. After examine your identity, you will explore how certain qualities/implications might put you at an advantage or disadvantage in comparison to others around you. This will make you think deeply about your position in society and also about that of others around you and why things are the way that they are.
First, you are going to write down different parts of your identity (what makes you who you are) and write down everything that comes to mind. You could include:
- Socioeconomic status
Once you have examined your own identity, I want you to reflect on the following questions:
- What qualities/situations act as advantages in my life?
- What qualities/situations act as disadvantages in my life?
- Are there parts of my identity that were created for me or I have no control over? If so, which?
- Are there parts of my identity that I created or decided myself? If so, which?
- Are there any parts of my identity that causes others to act bias or discriminatory towards me?
- Are there any parts of my identity that cause me to act bias or discriminatory towards others?
- Based on your examination of your identity, do you have a positive or negative position within society?
- What parts of your identity have had the greatest impact on your life and/or your experience within society?